Sustainability is the ability to continue a defined behaviour indefinitely.
The Three Pillars of Sustainability:
- Environmental Sustainability is the ability to maintain rates of renewable resource harvest, pollution creation, and non-renewable resource depletion that can be continued indefinitely.
- Economic Sustainability is the ability to support a defined level of economic production indefinitely.
- Social Sustainability is the ability of a social system, such as a country, to function at a defined level of social well-being indefinitely.
Sustainable development is development that meets the needs of the present without compromising the ability of future generations to meet their own needs.Brundtland Report of 1987
SUSTAINABILITY & ENVIRONMENT
The Investment. Gelal in the “Green” Path!
Gelal remains a showcase in the Sector globally, for the concept and mind-set of sustainability prevailing across all of its operations and functions.
L.E.E.D. (Leadership in Energy & Environmental Design) is acknowledged across the Globe as the premier mark of a green building certification that recognizes best-in-class building strategies and practices.
U.S. Green Building Council (U.S.G.B.C.) provides the guidelines and the Certification of the L.E.E.D. results achieved.
The number of points a Sustainability-driven building project earns, upon being audited determine the level of L.E.E.D. certification it will be awarded.
The four certification scoring thresholds:
The Credit Categories:
The Cankiri (Ankara) Factory is Gold level Certified, according to the L.E.E.D. Green Standard:
The Certification for designing and building has been executed by the U.S. Green Building Council (U.S.G.B.C.), according to The LEED (Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design), Green Building Rating System™, following a site audit.
The Mind-set and the Drive
At Gelal, we are very serious about conserving energy, reducing water consumption, improving indoor air quality, making better building material choices and driving innovation.
Our vision has been to create a Manufacturing Site costing less to operate, substantially reducing energy consumption and water bills, with maximised building and machinery efficiencies, freeing up valuable resources that can be used to create new jobs, attract and retain top talent, expand operations and invest in emerging technologies.
At Gelal, we strive to provide a working environment offering our people better, brighter, healthier spaces to work in!
According to information from L.E.E.D., the Gelal Cankiri (Ankara) Manufacturing Unit remains to-date the only Installation in the Socks Manufacturing Sector bearing a L.E.E.D. Gold Certification globally!
The Drive for going “Green”:
- Offering to the employees a better, brighter, healthier environment to work in.
- Minimise the Environmental Impacts.
- Minimise the Impacts on Peoples’ Health.
- Tracking usage of resources.
- Savings on Bills of Consumables.
- Enhancement of Reputation to Clients.
The Contribution to the Environment
Gelal entrusted the world renowned best, the U.S. Green Building Council (U.S.G.B.C.) for guidelines and eventually for the official Certification of the audited result Gelal achieved.
Indicative details from the Gelal “Green Certified” Manufacturing Unit at Cankiri (Ankara).
- Rain & Snow water harvesting. We pool-save more than 1,000 m3 of rain & snow water for manufacturing, irrigation and other non-potable water uses, eventually saving multiples of the pool-capacity, therefore many thousands of cubic metres of water on an annual basis.
- All the building materials used are special-performance-specific, offering carefully selected properties, resulting to savings on electricity and other sources of power.
- Movement detection radars are integrated on most lighting units, resulting to savings on electricity consumption.
- All machinery used in the manufacturing unit have been purpose-selected with the lowest possible power consumption (electricity or natural gas).
- Special constructions and appliances ensure maximisation of re-usage of heat emitted by various motors that is being used otherwise.
- Sun-trekkers direct and disperse the sunlight into operational areas, so electricity is used only to compliment amount of lighting to required level.
- High-tech materials have been used for insulating all hot and cold piping installations across the manufacturing unit, resulting to energy savings.
- High-tech biological cleaning, cleanses all water-based effluents used, returning to Nature perfectly clean water.
Sustainability Related Actions
Major Sustainability-Related Projects in the pipeline:
- Studying requirements for upgrading the factory Certification from Gold to Platinum (maximum level) level, per the Green Certification of the L.E.E.D. Standard.
- Installing a totally sustainable source of energy: solar electrical power supply.
On-going Sustainability-Related Projects of Gelal:
- Studying the possibilities of substituting conventional with sustainable materials, for socks and packaging solutions.
- In new product development, maximise the use of sustainable materials.
- Implement the findings of an audit performed by a world-class specialist auditing firm, on improving the e-KPIs and the Higg Index of Gelal.
Green Building & Sustainability Related Features
Since 2012 all machinery installed in both plants, complies with the ‘sustainability’ concept for minimised energy consumption and maximised benefits of emissions.
Examples of Elaborate Insulating Over Hot & Cold Piping (minimising loss of heat or cool)
Roof-mounted Daylight Trekkers (transferring & dispersing daylight in the working areas thus reducing power consumption for lighting)
Rain & Snow Water Harvesting.
We pool-save more than 1,000 m3 of rain & snow water which we use for manufacturing, irrigation and other non-potable water uses, resulting to saving several multiples of the pool-size amount of water annually!